The Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN) membership elected its board of directors for the 2012-2013 term, selecting Rosemarie T. Schroeder, BSN, RN, CNOR, to serve as president for the 2013-2014 term. The 2012-13 board was inducted into office at the AORN annual Congress on March 30 in New Orleans. Schroeder is the director of perioperative services at St. Joseph’s Hospital, Ministry Healthcare in Marshfield, Wis.
The election also marked the beginning of the term for Deborah Spratt, MPA, BSN, RN, CNOR, NEA-BC, CRCST. Spratt, the chief of sterile processing at the Canandaigua VAMC in Canandaigua, N.Y., will serve until March 2013. She replaces Anne Marie Herlehy, administrative director for perioperative and cardiovascular services at Alexian Brothers Medical Center and faculty member at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago. Herlehy will serve on the association’s nominating and leadership development committee through the new term.
AORN, representing the interests of more than 160,000 perioperative nurses, provides nursing education, standards and services that enable optimal outcomes for patients undergoing operative and other invasive procedures. AORN’s 41,500 registered nurse members facilitate the management, teaching and practice of perioperative nursing, are enrolled in nursing education or engaged in perioperative research. Board elections are conducted annually.
The election results are as follows:
• Renae Battie, MN, RN, CNOR, regional director, perioperative services, Franciscan Health System, Tacoma, Wash. was elected vice president.
• Callie Craig, MS, BSN, RN, CNOR, a surgery clinical director at INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center, Oklahoma City, Okla., was elected secretary.
• Anne Fairchild, RN, BSN, MS, CNOR, continues as treasurer. Fairchild is an independent perioperative consultant and CEO of Vanguard Enterprises LLC, Tulsa, Okla.
• Newly elected to the board of directors are Kathleen Gaberson, Ph.D., RN, CNOR, CNE, ANEF; and Judith Goldberg, MSN, RN, CNOR, CRCST. Gaberson is a nursing education consultant at OWK Consulting, Pittsburgh, Pa., and Goldberg is a clinical director, endoscopy and sterile processing, at The William W. Backus Hospital in Norwich, Conn.
• Denise Jackson, MSN, RN, CNS, CRNFA, was re-elected to the board. Jackson is a clinical nurse specialist and RN first assistant at Shannon Medical Center, San Angelo, Texas.
Continuing on the AORN board of directors for the 2012-2013 term are: Darin Prescott, MSN, MBA, RN, BC, CNOR, CASC, St. Cloud Hospital, St. Cloud, Minn.; Victoria Steelman, Ph.D., RN, CNOR, FAAN, assistant professor in the college of nursing at the University of Iowa; Martha Stratton, MSN, RN, CNOR, NEA-BC, director of surgical services for AnMed Health System in Anderson, S.C.; and Annette Wasielewski, BSN, RN, CNOR, a consultant for MIS, Robotics and Bariatrics.